Working on a Building!
That original building was torn down in the period of 1908-1909 and a new building built on the ground where the present Holland water tower stands. A tabernacle was later erected to the side of the church building. This building was used until January of 1927 when soon after the morning service the building caught fire from the flue and burned. Worship services were then held in the tabernacle which had to be immediately walled and have a heater installed. The temporary location was used until a new building could be completed, which occurred in March of 1929. This building was erected across the street from the old building at the intersection of Lexington and Travis, facing north.
On Easter Sunday, the last Sunday in March of 1929, the church building was dedicated with Reverend Tilson Maynard, then Director of Missions at Tyler and former pastor of the First Baptist Church of Holland, preaching the sermon. A revival meeting began that same evening with the Reverend E. R. Couch of Baytown, also a former pastor, leading.
The 1929 building was used until 1960, when under the leadership of the Reverend Lloyd Elder, it was torn down and a brick building erected—this time with the front facing East toward Lexington Avenue. The dedication service for the 1960 building was held November 20, 1960. Dr. Arthur Tyson, President of Mary-Hardin Baylor College, brought the sermon and Reverend LaVern C. Cook, pastor of the Concord Baptist Church of Waco and a Holland native lead the dedication prayer. A note burning for this building and a homecoming service was held November 4, 1973. The church celebrated paying off its mortgage two years in advance.
Several expansions of the 1960 building were necessary because of the continued growth. A separate Fellowship Hall (which also contained the church’s nursery and provided a carport for the church’s van) was added in 1989. A three room education space was added between the 1960 building and the new Fellowship Hall in 1999. And finally, the church’s carport was enclosed to create two new Sunday School rooms in 2003.
In 2000, under the leadership of Reverend Larry O’Neal, the church voted to enter another building project, this time with the intent to do so debt free. In 2001 ten acres were purchased on the northwest edge of Holland at the end of Dixie Drive. In 2005 utility service was established at the new location and excavation for the foundation pad began. In January 2006 the foundation for the new 25,000 square foot building was poured. Through God’s guiding hand the church was connected with a group of volunteers from Chilton Baptist Association in Alabama. The Chilton Baptist Builders, a group of more than eighty people, came to frame the new building. They arrived on June 16, 2006 and when they left on June 23, 2006 not only had the building been framed, all the roof trusses had been set as well. A second, smaller volunteer group comprised mainly of teenagers from Laguna Park Baptist Church arrived in July 2006 to help complete the lathing of the roof trusses in preparation for a metal roof, which was installed in October 2006. The new building was rocked with white stone during the summer of 2007. Interior work, such as air conditioning duct work, electrical wiring, and making needed adjustments for structural engineer approval were done between 2008 and 2009. Sheetrock was installed, taped, floated, and textured in March of 2010.
In June 2009, under the leadership of the Reverend Randy Evans, the church voted to sell the 1960 church complex in order to help finish the new building. The Holland Church of Christ purchased the building for $80,000.00. The final service was held in the 1960’s building on June 14, 2009. The church discontinued Sunday School and began meeting for worship in the Kuhlmann Civic Center in downtown Holland. In August 2010 the church offices were moved from their temporary location at 106 West Travis to the new building. In October 201o worship services began in the church's new worship center. Sunday School began again in November 2010 with all classes being held in the North wing of the new building. Work continues on the new building.
The Pastor’s Home
Having built a new parsonage south of the church in 1951 the church voted at a business meeting held on April 6, 1952 to authorize the Deacon Body to sell the old parsonage to John R. Sloan for the amount of $2,500.00. The 1951 parsonage, a three bedroom, one bathroom home served many pastors well until on May 21, 1980 when the church was called to conference to consider a motion to build a new parsonage.
The original motion was presented to the church to vote on purchasing a lot and building a parsonage. A vote was taken by secret ballot and was a tie—sixteen “for” and sixteen “against.” A second vote was called to break the tie, but ended with the same results. A motion was then made to purchase the lot and that motion carried. A stalemate remained over building the parsonage, so a motion was made to wait thirty days to “think about it . . . and then bring it forth again.” That motion passed. On June 18, 1980 a special called business meeting was held to “vote on building a parsonage.” The motion was made to build the parsonage and the motion passed with 80% in favor. In March of 1981 the new, brick, three bedroom, and two bath parsonage was completed. It is located at the western edge of town along the highway to Salado. The 1951 parsonage was converted into Sunday School rooms and used until 1989 when it was sold and moved to make way for the new Fellowship Hall.
Copyright 2010 First Baptist Church of Holland